Senior OBD Analyst
Company: Volkswagen Group of America
Posted on: January 16, 2020
The role of the Senior OBD Analyst is to perform compliance
analysis for the OBD-System to ensure legal reporting requirements
according to California Code Regulations CCR 1968.2, sections
(j)(1), (j)(2), (j)(3), Production Vehicle Evaluation (PVE) are
The primary responsibilities of the Senior OBD Analyst is to
provide identification and verification of current OBD System
shortcomings based on the required analysis of production vehicles
as required by the CARB and EPA as well as conducting customer
vehicle procurement and reporting test results to the responsible
VW Group parties.
The Senior OBD Analyst will always have up-to-date training of any
new legislations that are required and will train other employees
who work within the OBD project.
OBD Government Compliance Testing (85> )
- Performs compliance analysis for the OBD-System with the legal
requirements according to California Code Regulations Code
Regulations (CCR) 1968.2, section (j)(1).
- Performs OBD fault simulations on current production vehicles
to support CCR 1968.2 section (j)(2) compliance evaluation of 400
tests per vehicle.
- Without any immediate supervision, contacts and interviews VW
and Audi customers, schedules appointments and travels within the
state of California in order evaluate 250 customer vehicles per
year to ensure CCR 1968.2 section (j)(3) compliance.
- Ensures all regulatory reporting deadlines connected to the
position responsibilities are met.
- Conducts analysis of causes for OBD-System shortcomings of test
vehicles (prototypes, pre-production cars) and production vehicles
(Non-compliance may lead to significant financial damage to the VW
group via recalls).
- Provides the formulation of technical solutions detailing the
need and the nature of improvements.
- Collects, stores, and evaluates complex OBD data concerning
compliance with regulatory requirements and communicates results
with VWAG K-GQC/3.
- Evaluates, reports, and follows up on the results of the
proposed technical solutions to the responsible parties within the
- Procure production vehicles from factories including financial
approval necessary to fulfill (j) (1-2) testing.
- Creates and maintains process standards for the CCR1968.2,
Cross-Functional Support (15> )
- Conducts occasional travel to Germany to support testing and
participates in meetings and training.
- Stays abreast with latest technology of existing and upcoming
- Supports Technical Service and Quality Group to diagnose and
repair difficult to localize OBD System shortcomings.
- Provides technical assistance to other VWGoA and VWAG
- Develops additional OBD test plans according to legal
- Evaluates new diagnostic systems and procedures.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Participates in drivability and competitor comparison
- Supports drivability testing analysis using a fully
environmental climate chamber.
- Organizes and maintains a clean work environment in the
- 5-7 years of Automotive Engineering
- Minimum 3 years of Onboard Diagnostic Data (OBD) analysis and
legislative requirements in regards to OBD system design and
- Bachelor's Degree in Automotive Engineering or equivalent
- Master's Degree in Engineering or related field
- Analytical and conceptual thinking - using logic and reason,
creative and strategic
- Communication skills - interpersonal, presentation and
- Computer savvy - skilled in the use of software
- Integration - joining people, processes or systems
- Influencing and negotiation skills
- Problem solving
- Resource management
Specialized Skills required:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Highly organized and dependable
- Excellent teamwork ability and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work well independently and with minimal
- Proven ability to multi-task
- Self-motivated and dynamic
- Solid knowledge of the English language for communication with
higher management level from international parent companies
- In-depth, automotive technical knowledge on OBD Systems
- Scan tools, diagnostic and engineering measurement
- Ability to interpret and apply quantitative methodologies
- Proficiency in MS-Word, PowerPoint, MS-Outlook, Excel ,
- Project management experience
- Knowledge of emission testing processes
- Knowledge of drivability analysis
- Formal Customer Service Training
- Previous experience on Volkswagen/Audi OBD-Systems is
- Knowledge of the German language preferred
- (Work schedule based on business requirements ( min. 40 hours /
week ) including occasional Saturday and occasional overtime, core
work hours 7AM - 4 PM
- Occasional domestic travel ( average 2-3 times per year )
required for business & training, possibly to international
- Often driving a motor vehicle, incl. performance class, special
- Commonly sit at a desk or table.
- Occasionally walk, stand, or stoop. Occasionally lift, carry,
push, or pull up to 25 pounds.
Keywords: Volkswagen Group of America, Oxnard , Senior OBD Analyst, Professions , Oxnard, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!